Home » Interior Design Tips You Should Take Note Of

Interior Design Tips You Should Take Note Of

by Melanie Peterson

Designing your dream home is one of the biggest tasks you’ll do in your life. It needs a lot of your time and energy for its accomplishment. Making sure every detail is well thought out and balanced with all the others could be somehow overwhelming.

Fortunately, there are many ideas that you can draw inspiration from for your home design plans. Read on to learn about interior design tips that are worth taking note of.

Decorate Walls

Using your wall space is a great way to impress guests and visitors. It’s a huge canvas for you to exercise your creativity on. 

You can dress up your walls with attractive and colorful wallpapers for that impactful design. Another idea is to install eye-catching wall art or even a gallery wall which will surely have anyone who’ll see it in awe.

Combine Styles

Mixing styles can bring a lot of appeal to a space. For example, combining Scandinavian (bright wood, house plants) and bohemian (earthy colors, exotic patterns) design can give any room an artsy aesthetic and a homey, inviting feel.

In balancing different styles, a tip to get your proportions right is by following the 70-30 split rule. This means that 70% of the space will have a particular design, and the remaining 30% will be for a style that greatly complements it.

Follow the Rule of Threes

There is a certain magic brought about by odd numbers when it comes to design, especially the number three. When arranging decorative pieces like vases, candles, flowers, and cushions, remember to group them in threes for interesting visuals pleasant to the eyes.

Utilize and Style Shelves

Styling your shelves right is a good way to add a decorative touch to your home. Accessories such as plants, flowers, and pottery should be arranged in odd numbers. Books can be placed horizontally and vertically for visual appeal. 

You can opt for floor-to-ceiling shelving to maximize space. This will give you even more room for displaying pieces important to you, such as your collections. 

Make Way for Natural Light

There’s indeed nothing like the light from the sun. It gives life to a room and highlights its colors and textures in a way artificial light cannot do.

Natural light also brings a lot of benefits to a home. These include providing warmth, syncing the body’s built-in clock, killing bacteria and fungi in moisture-prone areas, and increasing the body’s serotonin (aka happy chemical) levels.

Be Guided by Sunlight

In relation to the previous tip, natural light proves to be useful and important design-wise in many other ways. An important one is as a guide in determining which colors are appropriate to use in a room. 

South-facing rooms get the most natural light, which is ideal for earthy colors. West-facing rooms get afternoon and sunset light, making cool tones suitable for such spaces. East-facing spaces will benefit from neutral tones, given the morning light they get. Lastly, north-facing areas will be the darkest, so bright and warm colors are appropriate for them.

Choose and Balance the Right Colors

Playing with colors sounds fun, but be careful with your choices as they can make or break a room’s overall design. The color wheel will come in handy in making sure the colors you choose complement each other.

If you plan to use a color scheme, take note of the 60-30-10 rule. 60% is for the dominant or overall color, 30% is for the secondary color, and the remaining 10% is for the accent tone. For example, your dominant color will be of your walls and rugs, the secondary will be for your curtains and side chairs, and the accent tone will come from throw pillows and decorative accessories.

Make Floors Stand Out

If decorated properly, floors can make a statement and add to a room’s overall aesthetic. Making your flooring cohesive is a good way to have a room feel much more spacious than it really is. You can achieve this by using the same flooring material, patterns, and undertones in different rooms.

Spread Rugs

Rugs add texture and color to a room. They can draw a design scheme together. In choosing one, make sure that their style and design complement the space’s aesthetic and that they’re big enough to fit all of the feet of the room’s furniture.

With these interior design tips, coming up with your home design plans could become easier. Hopefully, this dream will come to life beautifully, which will have you admiring your home every day.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment