Dental instruments are highly polished, uniquely designed, and skillfully crafted to cater to the complex needs of dental procedures. Some of them are maybe more important than others, but they all hold the same significance for effective treatment. Orthodontic cutters are one of those instruments that have made a difference in dentistry. They have a striking resemblance to household wire cutters. However, do not be mistaken by it. Instead, they are handcrafted so sophisticatedly that they enable the expert to perform the procedure perfectly without causing any trauma to the patients.
Before further discussion, it would be beneficial to discuss the key points, that health care providers should know about:
● Dental cutters are versatile in use. However, they can also cause a few issues. Negligence in the use of these tools causes losing its sharpness.
● There are a lot of different factors that can contribute to causing these issues. Normally, in most dental clinics, the tools are efficiently maintained. However, when wrong sterilization and maintenance methods are used, they make the sharp edges of the instrument dull and inefficient. It can also damage the protective layer of the tool, which in turn can cause corrosion. One of the other tools requiring the same sharpness level is the explorer dental instrument. Dentists use this tool to explore the patient’s dental cavity, and the right amount of balance and sharpness is paramount.
● Furthermore, having low sensitivity and uncomfortable fit in hand can affect the control of the instrument, which can make the effective treatment virtually impossible. Normally well-manufactured instruments will not face these types of issues. However, the use of poor quality material and lack of attention to detail will cause equipment to wear out quicker, and also, it will not possess that perfect sensitivity and balance.
Use and Types of Orthodontic Cutters
They exist in different designs and sizes, and their use depends upon the job needed to be performed by a dentist. Normally they are used for cutting and bending wires for different dental appliances such as braces. They are required to give a proper shape to the wire and cut it cleanly without elongating the metal fibers of the wire so that it does not cause any serious injury to the patient.
Some of the most common types of this instrument are as follow;
Orthodontic Hard Wire Cutter:
They must be extremely sharp and durable for precision cutting over long periods. They normally consist of tapered bird-like beaks with extremely sharp edges to cut hard wires and ligatures made of metal. Their tip is mostly used for cutting small diameter wires, usually around 0.015 inches.
Orthodontic Distal End Cutters:
Such orthodontic cutters are manufactured in a unique design to serve various purposes. And consists of two sharp cutting edges at 90 degrees to the tool’s longitudinal axis. They are best suited for intraoral procedures, which normally involve cutting off the remaining end of the wire. One of its most important features is that it holds the terminal end of the archwire after cutting it and prevents any injury to the patient. The other name of this instrument is the orthodontic flush cutter because it leaves the wire flush with the buccal tube.
Tips for Maintaining the Instruments
There are a lot of different methods that professionals use to maintain and prepare their equipment. Some of the most effective ones are mentioned below;
● Keep your instruments sharp at all times.
● Immediately soak instruments after use to avoid debris drying on the surface, which can be tough to remove later and may require excessive force that can damage the metal’s protective layer.
● Ensure not to give excessive heat during the sterilization process. It can also damage the protective layer.
● Once the sterilization process is over, make sure to cover the equipment properly. To avoid dust and bacteria settling on the surface of the tools, which can cause corrosion.
Orthodontic cutters are hugely valuable in dental procedures; they enable the dentist to work efficiently and ensure patient safety. Adopting the right maintenance methods will enable the instrument to be used for longer periods, and also it will save valuable time and money spent on replacing or repairing the instrument.
This May Interest YOU!
We at GerDentUSA have spent years perfecting our manufacturing techniques to produce superior quality instruments. That provides excellent control and durability and gives the expert an edge with its unique features. We have pioneered inventing many new designs and surgical tools over the years. To help the dental community provide the most effective treatment to their patients and make them smile better. We offer specialized customization to professionals with all our exceptional quality and features. Our craftsmen have gained valuable knowledge and experience over the years by working with top health practitioners worldwide. They cater to every single requirement to perfection to produce an instrument fit for your skillful hands.